Black Bloggers Chicago Spotlight: Meet Kim Durden
Black Bloggers Chicago has an incredible and diverse network of content creators. They’re influential and hold the trust of their respective communities and their readers value their opinions. As a network it is important to promote and highlight our members and their respective websites. As part of this, we are introducing our “Blogger Spotlight”. Get to know our members, their passion and their thoughts about blogging and the industry.
Today, Meet Black Bloggers Chicago Member, Kim Durden!!!
Kim is the owner of Divine Dine Foodie Tours, a food tour agency in Chicago and a professional food blogger. As a member of Black Bloggers Chicago, she cannot be more excited about being a part of an amazing group of brilliantly creative minds.
Her Goals as a blogger and entrepreneur are to bring people together through my love of food. There's greatness in everyone sometimes a great meal is needed to bring it out of them, that's all. That's my job and I take it very seriously. I don’t just want to feed my belly but to also feed the needs of my community - especially when it comes to empowering teen mothers, supporting and mentoring aspiring and existing women entrepreneurs and advocating for solid solutions to end hunger and homelessness in the great city of Chicago and to shine the light on hidden gems and local hot spots that are serving up great dishes AND extraordinary deeds in the communities they service.
1. How did you start blogging and how long have you been a blogger?
I was a caterer and event planner for about 12 years because that's what everyone thought I should do. But one day I had a revelation and decided to marry the things that I love doing the most and in October 2016, Divine Dine Foodie Tours was born. It started out as a food tour agency - creating & hosting dining excursions to dining hot spots and hidden gems in Chicago-land and beyond. Though I was doing what I loved, I felt like something was missing....CREATIVE WRITING. Consequently, in 2018, I launched my blog.
2. How would you describe your blog?
My blog is two-fold: 1) it provides a vivid, very descriptive depiction of my dining experiences whether I'm rolling solo or on one of my tours; and 2) it is a collection of reviews of MOST of my dining adventures. I am especially interested in Black-owned restaurants which is shown unapologetically through my blog. On the flip side, my love for food is color blind so you get an extensive mix of EVERYTHING.
3. What's the best service a blogger can deliver to their readers? An experience. As a food blogger, it is vitally important that my readers feel like they are right there with me at the table; experiencing every aroma and tasting every bite. The ultimate goals are to connect and engage with your readers so that they and the industry you represent will establish YOU, the blogger, as an expert in your field. A very close runner up is to be transparent and honest with your readers. You need their trust to be a successful blogger.
4. What are your top 3 blogging goals for 2019?
1) To stop using Facebook as a micro blog site and finally launch my own blog by March 31st
2) To be consistent: with daily posts on social media and weekly blog posts on the 7th, 14th, 21st and 28th; sending out my enewsletters; event planing and promotions.
3) To monetize my blog by the beginning of the 4th quarter of the year through affiliate marketing, advertising, sponsorships, and develop my own product line.
5. What's your biggest challenge as a blogger?
I have two: Finances and Balancing my Time
We are thrilled to have Kim as a member of Black Bloggers Chicago! You can learn more about Divine Dine Foodie Tours at the following: